Roy Moore thinks same-sex marriage is “even worse” than 1857 pro-slavery ruling

Alabama Supreme Court

Why are we not surprised?

It’s emerged that Alabama senate hopeful Roy Moore said in a 2016 podcast that he believes the Supreme Court’s 2015 same-sex marriage ruling is “even worse” than the 1857 Dred Scott v. Sanford decision to uphold slavery.

“In 1857, the United States Supreme Court did rule that black people were property,” Moore said during the podcast, “and of course that contradicted the Constitution and it took a civil war to overturn it.

“But this ruling in Obergefell is even worse in a sense because it forces not only people to recognise marriage other than the institution ordained of God and recognised by nearly every state in the union, it says that you now must do away with the definition of marriage and make it between two persons of the same gender.”

Moore went on to claim that same-sex marriage will lead to “polygamy” and multi-partner marriages.

“We’ve got to go back and recognise that what they did in Obergefell was not only to create a right that does not exist under the Constitution, but then to mandate that that right compels Christians to give up their religious freedom and liberty,” he added.

It’s certainly not the first time he’s caused controversy for his questionable views, as earlier this year it was unearthed that Moore had once compared sex between two consenting adults of the same sex to bestiality.

“Homosexual conduct should be illegal,” he said during a 2005 interview on C-SPAN2.

“Just because it’s done behind closed doors, it can still be prohibited by state law. Do you know that bestiality, the relationship between man and beast, is prohibited in every state?”

Later, in 2015, Moore suggested being forced to follow the Supreme Court’s marriage equality ruling was the equivalent of being forced to kill people under immoral German laws in World War II.

“Could I do this if I were in Nuremberg, say that I was following the orders of the highest authority to kill Jews?” he asked. “Could I say I was ordered to do so?”

Comments

More

Anonymous Premier League star pens letter saying he’s gay but “too afraid” to come out

UNI release perfect music video for the times with new song, Debris

Andrea Di Giovanni and GESS release their new collaboration, Miracle

Elton John, Stephen Fry and Dua Lipa among the celebrities calling for a ban on ‘conversion therapy’

This might’ve been one of the most emotional Drag Race All Stars episodes ever

Lil Nas X responds to online troll calling him a “one hit wonder” in the best way

Courtney Act shares incredible story behind new pop anthem Heteroflexible

Canada’s Drag Race judge Brooke Lynn Hytes reveals if she’ll ever return as a contestant

Press enter to search