Hillary Clinton slams Trump’s “striking and scary” attacks on LGBT+ rights

YouTube

Hillary Clinton once again showed support for LGBT+ rights over the weekend.

During an appearance at the Human Rights Campaign’s 21st annual National Dinner in Washington D.C. on Saturday night, the former presidential hopeful expressed her gratitude to her LGBT+ supporters.

“Thank you Human Rights Campaign for that warm welcome,” she began her speech to the sound of rapturous applause. “And you know, there is no one I’d rather share my initials with than you.

“I’m so grateful for the support I’ve received from so many of you in the LGBT community over the years.

“I think it’s fair to say you’ve made me a better first lady, a better senator, a better Secretary of State, a better presidential nominee, a better person.”

Hillary dedicated most of her speech to criticising the Trump administration’s poor record on LGBT+ rights, including “gutting funding for HIV and AIDS research” and trying to ban trans people from the military.

She also addressed LGBT+ rights abuses around the world, including the shocking news of modern-day ‘concentration camps’ appearing in Chechnya, which she said should “alarm every American” who believes in equality.

“As I believe more fiercely than ever now, gay rights are human rights and human rights are gay rights,” she continued. “These attacks on the LGBT community, here at home and around the world, are striking and scary.

“I cannot pretend to understand what that feels like, but I do know what it feels like to be torn down and attacked.

“And I want you to know, I’m with you. Today, tomorrow, for the long haul, I won’t be silenced and I hope you won’t be either. And you know what? That’s a promise from one HRC to another.”

Hillary was introduced by trailblazing athlete Billie Jean King, who said: “It’s a thrill to be with you, especially to honour my shero… Hillary has been an advocate for all of us, especially those on the margins and struggling and vulnerable.

“Above all, she has been a partner in our fight for equality… She fought for the passage of non-discrimination protections, and for the expansion of hate crimes, and the repeal of Don’t Ask Don’t Tell and DOMA.”

Elsewhere at the dinner, Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos was awarded with the National Equality Award, Orange Is The New Black star Uzo Aduba received the HRC Ally For Equality Award, and Joe Jonas’ band DNCE performed.

Comments

More

Anonymous Premier League star pens letter saying he’s gay but “too afraid” to come out

UNI release perfect music video for the times with new song, Debris

Andrea Di Giovanni and GESS release their new collaboration, Miracle

Elton John, Stephen Fry and Dua Lipa among the celebrities calling for a ban on ‘conversion therapy’

This might’ve been one of the most emotional Drag Race All Stars episodes ever

Lil Nas X responds to online troll calling him a “one hit wonder” in the best way

Courtney Act shares incredible story behind new pop anthem Heteroflexible

Canada’s Drag Race judge Brooke Lynn Hytes reveals if she’ll ever return as a contestant

Press enter to search