Zachary Quinto calls Kevin Spacey’s coming out a “calculated manipulation”

Flickr/YouTube

Zachary Quinto has heavily criticised Kevin Spacey for coming out as gay following allegations of a “sexual advance” on a minor.

Spacey decided to address decades-long speculation over his sexuality after actor Anthony Rapp claimed in an interview with BuzzFeed that Spacey picked him up, placed him on his bed and climbed on top of him, making a “sexual advance” back in 1986.

Rapp was 14 at the time, while Spacey was 26 years old.

Spacey released a statement saying that he has “a lot of respect and admiration for Anthony Rapp as an actor,” and admitted that he is “horrified to hear this story.”

The actor did not deny the allegation, but said that he does not “remember the encounter”.

However, Spacey then decided to use the statement to say: “I have loved and had romantic encounters with men throughout my life, and I choose now to live as a gay man.”

Many were quick to criticise Spacey for choosing this moment to clarify his sexuality as it perpetuates the gross stereotype that bigots use to claim that gay men are predatory.

Zachary Quinto – who worked with Spacey on 2011 film Margin Call – branded the coming out as a “calculated manipulation” in a post on Twitter.

“It is deeply sad and troubling that this is how Kevin Spacey has chosen to come out,” Quinto said.

“Not by standing up as a point of pride – in the light of all his many awards and accomplishments – thus inspiring tens of thousands of struggling LGBTQ kids around the world, but as a calculated manipulation to deflect attention from the very serious accusation that he attempted to molest one.

“I am sorry to hear of Anthony Rapp’s experience and subsequent suffering. And I am sorry that Kevin only saw fit to acknowledge his truth when he thought it could serve him – just as his denial served him for so many years.”

Flickr

He continued: “May Anthony Rapp’s voice be the only one which is amplified here. Victim’s voices are the ones that deserve to be heard.”

Rapp posted a handful of tweets following Spacey statement yesterday, saying that he has “no further comment” about this incident at this time.

Comments

More

Lil Nas X responds to online troll calling him a “one hit wonder” in the best way

Courtney Act shares incredible story behind new pop anthem Heteroflexible

Canada’s Drag Race judge Brooke Lynn Hytes reveals if she’ll ever return as a contestant

Noah’s Arc cast on why “the timing is right” to reboot the groundbreaking LGBTQ+ series

Instagram announces plans to block promotion of ‘conversion therapy’

Sabrina fans campaigning to save beloved Netflix series following “unfair cancellation”

Katy Perry releases infectious new pop anthem and KP5 album artwork

Thailand to make history as first Southeast Asian country to legalise same-sex civil partnerships

Press enter to search