Old Vic reveals 20 allegations of ‘inappropriate behaviour’ against Kevin Spacey

The Old Vic theatre have received allegations from 20 people against actor Kevin Spacey.

Spacey has faced a wave of allegations of sexual assault and inappropriate behaviour this year, including from Star Trek: Discovery star Anthony Rapp and eight House Of Cards crew members.

The Old Vic, based in Waterloo, London, initially said they had received no complaints about Spacey during his time as artistic director, from 2004 to 2015, when the accusations emerged last month.

But today (Thursday 16 November), the theatre have released the conclusions of an investigation into allegations concerning Spacey’s conduct at the theatre, and the results aren’t good.

The investigation, which was carried out by an external law firm on behalf of The Old Vic, resulted in 20 personal allegations of “inappropriate behaviour” carried out by Spacey between 1995 and 2013.

In a statement, the theatre said a “cult of personality” existed around Spacey while working for them, and that his status had prevented people, in particular young actors and staff members, from speaking out.

“Despite having the appropriate escalation processes in place, it was claimed that those affected felt unable to raise concerns and that Kevin Spacey operated without sufficient accountability,” they said.

“This is clearly unacceptable and the Old Vic truly apologises for not creating an environment or culture where people felt able to speak freely.”

The theatre emphasised that “no legal claims, formal grievances, formal disputes, settlement agreements or payments made or authorised were made at all in relation to Kevin Spacey during his tenure”.

Spacey was invited to participate in the investigation but did not respond, The Old Vic said.

Matthew Warchus, The Old Vic’s current artistic director, wrote in a statement: “I have genuine and deep sympathy for all those who have come forward and said they were hurt in some way by my predecessor’s actions.

“Everyone is entitled to work in an environment free from harassment and intimidation. The Old Vic is now actively engaged in the process of healing and the process of prevention.”

He also denied claims that accusations against Spacey were an ‘open secret’ among those working at The Old Vic.

“It is incorrect, unfair and irresponsible to say that everyone knew. But as a result of the investigation, what we have learnt is how better to call out this behaviour in the future,” he said.

Comments

More

Anonymous Premier League star pens letter saying he’s gay but “too afraid” to come out

UNI release perfect music video for the times with new song, Debris

Andrea Di Giovanni and GESS release their new collaboration, Miracle

Elton John, Stephen Fry and Dua Lipa among the celebrities calling for a ban on ‘conversion therapy’

This might’ve been one of the most emotional Drag Race All Stars episodes ever

Lil Nas X responds to online troll calling him a “one hit wonder” in the best way

Courtney Act shares incredible story behind new pop anthem Heteroflexible

Canada’s Drag Race judge Brooke Lynn Hytes reveals if she’ll ever return as a contestant

Press enter to search