© Gay Times / Daniel Estrada Gutierrez

Back in October 2016, Aidan Faminoff came out in an emotional message to his followers.

“After hiding this for years I finally feel comfortable in my own skin, to be who I truly am,” he posted. It was no coincidence that it was National Coming Out Day.

“It has been emotionally tough not being able to talk about it with anyone but I feel ready. To the people who don’t know, I am gay.”

Since then, the 19-year-old Canadian has been competing as a Florida State diver with huge promise to go all the way to the Olympics.

In the new issue of Gay Times, we spent the day with the teen heartthrob as he opened up about his decision to come out on Instagram.

“I shared my story in the hopes that people would be able to connect to my coming out experience,” Aidan told us.

“I personally know the struggles that can coincide with this process so showing other show positive the outcome can be is very important to me. I hope my story inspires individuals to embrace who they are and become comfortable in their own skin.”

© Gay Times / Daniel Estrada Gutierrez

Speaking about what needs to be done for more people in sport to talk openly about their sexuality, Aidan said society needs to change.

“First off, I think they need to be in a comfortable and welcoming environment,” he said.

“Also, I think to be an openly gay athlete, society has to change. If society is not supporting ‘non-normative’ relationships, then why would any one want to come out?

“I was ready to come out to my family, friends and teammates once I felt there was no more need to hide who I truly was.

“Unfortunately, this is not the case for everyone and I think it comes down to more positive and welcoming society.”

You can read the full interview with Aidan in the new issue of Gay Times, as well as see more pictures of the promising diving talent.

You can buy a copy from our newly-launched Gay Times store here.

Boy George covers the relaunched, new-look magazine, speaking about his plans for a Las Vegas residency, which Queen of Pop he’d like to duet with, and addressing those rumours of an unreleased track with the late George Michael.